Friday, March 10, 2023

Cemeteries of Millerton, New York

 Does anyone have information on cemeteries in Millerton, Dutchess County, New York?

I continue searching for information on the death of Catherine Donnelly, my third great-grandmother. She was born around 1833 in Ireland. With Michael Preston (1813-1904), she had at least six children and lived in Pine Plains, Northeast, and Stanford in Dutchess County before relocating to Independence in Warren County, New Jersey in the 1880s.

No death certificate has been located in New York or New Jersey for Catherine. I figure she died around 1900, when she was last seen in the federal census. Her husband was seen twice; once with her and once as her widower.

While reviewing Preston death records, I noticed a death certificate from Independence in 1896 for a baby named John H Preston, son of John Preston and Bridget.

John H Preston died November 8, 1896
in Independence, Warren County, New Jersey.
Age 1 year, 5 months, and 7 days.
Parents- John Preston and Bridget.
Burial at Millerton, New York.

John Preston (1857-1928) and Bridget Sheehy (1857-1916) were my second great-grandparents. In 1879 they named a son John David Preston. He did not die until 1922. I think it's strange that they would name another baby John in 1895 when they already had a child by this name.

1880 United States federal census
John D Preston, age 23; farm laborer.
Bridgett Preston, age 23; wife; keeping house.
Michael Preston, age 2, son.
John D Junior Preston, age 1; son.

Baby John was buried at Millerton. This is difficult to discern at the bottom of the certificate.

I hoped (and still do) that this is a clue as to the burial location of Catherine, circa 1900. Upon looking up cemeteries in this area, I found four in Millerton:


I was able to make contact with one, Irondale. Staff kindly looked into the Preston and Donnelly surnames and found no matches to my people.

So, fellow researchers, if anyone is near Millerton or has access to records for cemeteries in Millerton, I would be most appreciative for some checking.

Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment