Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cemetery Documentation Day

Today I assisted with documenting a section of Woodland Cemetery in Newark, Essex County, New Jersey.  The weather cooperated- cool and cloudy.  No shadows from the sun.  I became acquainted with the group that handles the records for the cemetery when I discovered that one of my ancestors, David Uhl, was buried there in 1884.


I am told that the records were a jumbled mess, as were the actual locations of burials, but organization is setting in.  A bunch of volunteers, including myself, went row by row in the sections next to South 10th Street and documented what could be found.  South 10th Street is currently the only entrance and exit for the cemetery.






Fredericka Kassenberg, died in 1912; unearthed today.

The cemetery has fallen into disrepair, neglect, and vandalism.



Great job, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment