Sunday, May 4, 2014

Saint Peter's Catholic Cemetery, Jersey City

I visited Saint Peter's Catholic Cemetery in Jersey City (Hudson County, New Jersey, United States) now that the weather is improving.  (Thank you, R.B., for a lovely trip.)

The other Catholic cemetery in Jersey City is Holy Name, which is much larger.  The records for both cemeteries are available on microfilm through FamilySearch.org.  Saint Peter's listing at FindAGrave includes over one thousand burials.  Given the rather small nature of this cemetery, check FindAGrave to see if a stone still exists.  I did not check every stone, but all the ones that I investigated were already on FindAGrave.  The actual burial records will contain many more names, of course, so you need to view them as well.  Holy Name Cemetery, in comparison, has almost 30,000 burials on FindAGrave.  (You can also look up burials for Catholic cemeteries under the Newark Archdiocese at www.rcancem.org/deceased.  Holy Name Cemetery is listed; Saint Peter's is not.)





To park and access the gates, you turn onto Utica Avenue from US Routes 1 and 9 South (Tonnele Avenue).



Saint Peter's is well-maintained by neighboring Holy Name Cemetery.  The grounds are surrounded by railways, busy highways, and industrial plants, but the cemetery presents beautifully.

Geese grazing at Saint Peter's Catholic Cemetery in Jersey City

Duffy monument at Saint Peter's Catholic Cemetery in Jersey City

These engraved portions of these types of monuments are easily destroyed.

I put the camera inside the monument's missing side and found some pieces of lettering.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jody, I like reading your blog. A few years ago I digitized the Holy Name/St Peter's cemeteries microfilms, all six microfilms. They are on my computer and I do free lookups for people searching for their ancestors. I rarely look up Holy Name cemetery anymore since RCAN has them online but the cards still contain St Peter's cemetery. If anyone ever needs a lookup my email is at the bottom of the page on my website. Ed https://sites.google.com/site/jcgeney/home/holy-name-cemetery-jc JCGeney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added a link to Eddi's site about Hudson County, New Jersey resources.

    ReplyDelete