Monday, February 9, 2015

Amanuensis Monday: 1779 Will of Jacob Derye of Jericho, Oyster Bay, Queens County, New York

WILL OF JACOB DEREA (DURYE)
of JERICHO, OYSTER BAY, QUEENS COUNTY, NEW YORK
Written August 27, 1779
Proved July 30, 1781
New York County, New York, Will Book 34: 255-256; Surrogate's Court


His Excellency, James Roberston Esquire, Captain General and Governor in Chief in and over the Province of New York and the Territories depending thereon in America, Chancellor and Vice Admiral of the same and Lieutenant General of his Majesty's Forces.

To All to whom these Presents shall come or may in any wise Concern.

Sendeth Greeting.

Know Ye that at Queens County on the Thirtieth day of July last past, before Samuel Clowes Esquire thereunto Delegated and appointed the last Will and Testament of Jacob Durye (a copy whereof is hereunto annexed) was proved and is now approved and allowed of by me; and the said Deceased having whilst he lived and at the time of his Death Goods Chattels and Credits within this Province by means whereof the proving and Registring the said will, and the granting administration of all and singular the said Goods Chattels and Credits and also the auditting allowing and final discharging the Account thereof doth belong unto me.  The administration of all and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of the said Deceased, and any way Concerning his Will, is granted unto John Wortman, Nathaniel Smith and Willetts Kirby the Executors in the said Will named, the two former being duly sworn and the latter being duly affirmed, well and truly to administer the same, and to make and exhibit a true and perfect Inventory of all and singular the said Goods Chattels and Credits, and also to render a Just and True account thereof when thereunto required.  In Testimony whereof I have caused the Prerogative Seal of the Province of New York to be herunto affixed at Fort George in the City of New York the first day of August one thousand seven hundred and Eighty One. -------------- Sam Bayard Jun Secry

Know all men by these presents that I, Jacob Derea, of Jericho within the Township of Oysterbay in Queens County on the Island of Nesau and Province of New York, yeoman, being this twenty seventh day of August in the year of Our Lord Christ one thousand seven hundred and seventy nine, but weak and infirm of Body, but of a sound mind and Memory and not knowing how it ma please God to Deal with me in my State of Weakness am willing to sett my House in Order before my final Change doth com[e] do therefore make and ordain this Present Writing to Contain my Last Will and Testament in manner as following.

First of all I Recomend my Body to the Earth to be Buried with a Christial Buriel at the Descression of my Executors hereafter mentioned and astounding my outwad Estate wherewith it hath pleased God Before uppon me I will and dispose of in the following manner.

Item.  I will and order all my Just Debts and funeral Charges and other Expencies that shall arrise or Happen in the Execution of the my said Will to be paid by my Executors hearafter mentioned out of my movable Estate, before my Deviden be made.

Item.  I will and Bequeah unto my Will beloved Wife Sarah Derea the Just and full sum of Fifty Pounds, and all the Household Goods and furniture she brought to me at her free disposal, and the use of my mair and chair to Ride in as long as she Remains my Widow, and no longer.

Item.  I will and order all the Remander of my Estate Rail and Personal to be sold at the Descression of my Executors and turned into money and to be putt at Intrust untill my Children shall arise to Lawfull age and then to be Equal Devided between my three Sons George, Joshua and Garred Derea or in Cace my wife should be Pregnant then my will is that it should have it Eaqual Devidan with the Rest and my Estate to be Eaqual devided amongst my surviving Children.  I will and order my Children to be brought up to Learning suitable to their Surcumstancies and all to have Trades meckennikel Branch as they shall Chewse.

Item.  I will and Bequeath unto my Will beloved Wife Sarah Derea all the Cattell or money as she brought to me at her free disposal.

Lastly I appoint my Brother in Law Nethan Smith of Hempstead and my Neighbour Willits Kirby and John Wortman both of Oysterbay all of Queens County my Exectors of this my last Will and Testement and I do impowar my Exet or aney of them to sell and dispose of my Lands and Estate and to give a Good Title to the Purchaser or Purcheher in Wittness I have hear unto sett my hand and fixed my Seal the day and year above Written.

Signed Sealed [?] pronounced and Declared by the said Jacob Derea as and for his last Will and Testament in the presents of the subscribers which witnessed in the Presents of subscribor Jacob Durye LS.  Joshua Smith, Abraham Probasco, John Wright.

Queens County.  Be it Remembered that on the Thirtieth Day of July one thousand seven hundred and Eighty One, personally came and appeared before me Samuel Clowes, Surrogate of the said County, Joshua Smith of Hempstead in Queens County, yeoman, and being duly sworn on his Oath declared that he did see Jacob Duryea sign and Seal the within written Instrument, purporting to be the Will of the said Jacob Duryea, bearing the date the Twenty seventh day of August one thousand seven hundred and seventy nine, and heard him publish and Declare the same as and for his last Will and Testament.  That at the Time thereof he, the said Jacob Duryea, was of sound disposing mind and memory to the best of the Knowledge and belief of this Deponant; and that his name subscribed to the said will is of his own proper hand writing, which he subscribed as a Wittness to the said Will in the Testators presence, and that he this Deponant did see Abraham Probasco and John Wright the other subscribing wittnesses to the said Will, subscribe their names as wittnesses thereto in the Testators presence. ---- S Clowes, Surrogate


Page 255
Page 256

No comments:

Post a Comment