Sunday, April 28, 2024

Monument for The Chinese Charitable and Benevolent Association of Newark

Among my grandfather's pictures was this image of a stone monument.


Stone monument.
"The Chinese Charitable and Benevolent Ass'n of Newark."

Inscribed on this stone are the words, "The Chinese Charitable and Benevolent Association of Newark." Chinese characters are below these words, but I do not read Chinese. (Translations welcome. Comment below.) Smaller upright stones appear in the background. This picture was probably taken in the 1940s or 1950s.

My grandfather lived in Newark, New Jersey. I asked various cemeteries in Newark if this stone was located on their grounds. No takers.

I queried FaceBook and was guided to East Ridgelawn Cemetery in Clifton, New Jersey. (Thank you M. J.)

An inquiry on the website of East Ridgelawn Cemetery confirmed that this monument is located there. Here is the contemporary appearance.


Those are indeed gravestones behind this larger memorial.

Short upright gravestones at East Ridgelawn Cemetery
in Clifton, Passaic County, New Jersey.

This section is located along the fenceline of Fenlon Boulevard where Pennington Avenue terminates.


Years ago I determined that East Ridgelawn Cemetery was the setting of another picture taken by my grandfather- the stone of Emerson Lambert Nichols (1913-1935).


My grandfather took pictures of people in this area of the cemetery.







If anyone has further insight into this monument or the people in these pictures, comment below.



No comments:

Post a Comment