Monday, March 18, 2024

Happy Birthday Grandpa

March 18 is the birthday of my paternal grandfather, Clifford Lutter (1915-1980).

Birth certificate of Clifford Lutter.
March 18, 1915 in Philadelphia.
Father- Howard Lutter. Mother- Laura Ethel Winterton.


Clifford was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1915. The story surrounding his birth was that his father, musician Howard Lutter (1889-1959), was performing in Philadelphia. Otherwise, the family resided in Newark, New Jersey.

On the anniversary of his birth, I am posting some newly discovered photographs of him. I had these photos for years from various sources, but I did not realize that he was the young person in these photos. I suspect they were taken in Holmdel, Monmouth County, New Jersey at the residence of his maternal grandparents, William Walling Winterton (1863-1932) and Catherine Butterfoss Dunn (1865-1944).











This could be a picture of Clifford Lutter with his sister, Beryl.
Beryl was born in 1918.



2 comments:

  1. I saw your posts and instantly recognized certain markers that my oral German family history imparted to me over the years. My family is 95% German and my mother immigrated to the USA in the 1960s. My father's family left Germany in the 1600s and moved to Pennsylvania as part of the "New Dutch" (I don't think that history is taught in schools anymore but as you know, AMAZING ENGINEERING followed the PA Germans from the 1600s to today). There are a lot of things time has taught me and I'll impart this: language creates culture, and culture creates countries. I had your Uhl family history nailed in about 10 seconds, lol.

    I worked as an attorney finding lost heirs and wives&husbands for years. I'm pretty good at ferreting out a family tree online and offline. If you'd like insight into the German history of your family, I can give you a few pointers. Naturally, Germans are extremely cautious about giving out personal info so finding leads is a trick.

    ReplyDelete