Saturday, September 22, 2012

Book of Eckler

Congratulations and thank you to Paul E Eckler for publishing a family history book, Eckler-Eiklor-Eaklor-Akler Family of Hudson Valley, New York and Bradford County, Pennsylvania.  This is a labor of love.  The original immigrant Christian Eigler was born about 1680 in the Rhine Valley region of what is now Germany and came to New York around 1711 with his wife, Maria Neff, and other Palatines.

You may reach the author, Paul E Eckler, at paul.eckler@att.net
 
 
Page 42: details of my Eckler becoming Hyser

The most recent Eckler in my ancestry was Catharine Eckler, born in 1830 in Catskill, Greene County, New York.  Her mother was Maria Layman.  The Layman family, also spelled Lehman, had many intermarriages with the Ecklers.  Catharine's parents were cousins to each other.  Her mother's great grandfather was her father's grandfather, Adrew Eckler, born in 1732.  This is an especially interesting line to me because it represents my father's direct maternal line.  Ten generations back from my father, all on his direct maternal line, are in this book, to Anna Maria Kieffer, born about 1700.

Great job, Paul!

4 comments:

  1. I have an Eckler ancestor: Margaret Eckler Prout b. West Camp NY 1827 d. Durham CT 1916.
    From the info above I see there is a Hudson Cty NJ connection. Funny: I lived in both JC and Bayonne and sold residential real estate there until 2009. Including houses on Henry St. I'm sending an email to Paul Eckler, but wonder if it will go through to an att.net address...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan.
      Did the email address work?
      I possibly found Paul Eckler on FaceBook. I am awaiting a reply.
      Reconnecting with him is an excellent idea, so I thank you.
      -Jody

      Delete
    2. Response: Yes, the att dot net address is still valid.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jody,
    I did reach cousin Paul. We have been emailing about the Eckler family. While I was in the Richmond VA area this fall, I visited the National Cemetery where we are pretty sure that what was left of his remains (He died in the Battle of Richmond July 1st, 1862.) were buried when they collected Union soldiers' remains and reburied them in this cemetery. I didn't visit the Battleground site, but spent about an hour at the cemetery talking with the manager. I'm afraid I debunked the idea that his name appears on his company's monument at Gettysburg. He had been dead for a year when the Gettysburg Battle took place, and although others from that company participated, I doubt that they would have memorialized a pvt soldier who did not fight there on this monument. There was enough information available that with Paul's agreement I posted a memorial to Abram Eckler on Find a Grave with the photo of one of the "unknown" Union Soldiers Markers. I found out while at the cemetery that in addition to the 900 or so stones for 1,2 or 3 Union soldiers, the smaller square pillars all around that section of the Cemetery represent where human body parts were buried. It was a summer battle, and the 1400 Union troops who died that day were first buried in farm fields in the area. They were moved to this new cemetery 2 years later. Unfortunately, as the original graves were often shallow, animals disturbed many of the remains and in many cases only a few human bones remained...

    ReplyDelete