Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Birthplace

The first Lutter immigrant for my direct line, Herman, arrived in the United States around 1881.  Most of his records list a birthplace of "Germany."  If I could discover where in Germany he originated, I could possibly discover a lot more about his family.  I have two clues.  The first is his marriage return for his 1886 marriage in Newark, New Jersey to Clara Uhl.


The next clue is his entry in the 1920 census in Newark, where his place of birth, "Thuring," is crossed off.

Some great people looked at these entries today and came up with a possible location:  Sachsen-Altenburg, Thuringen.

My next steps include: exploring the information available on any Lutter families in this area of Thuringen; obtaining the original church records for Herman's marriages; and obtaining the divorce records for these two marriages.

If anyone has any thoughts about Herman's place of birth, please let me know.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment