Monday, September 6, 2010

Name Hoarders

One of the things I do not understand are people who post bunches names, some with dates, some with locations, with absolutely no references or sources to back them up.  They glean or acquire the information from others and simply propagate the same info over and over.  Why?  What is the point of reproducing the research (or claims) of another person?  It obscures the original source and disseminates misinformation, which can multiply very quickly on the internet.  Older, paper-based undocumented claims existed; but now, it is so much easier and faster to get this undocumented info spread far and wide over the internet.

When I find something that may concern someone who I am researching, I attempt to contact the author to ascertain where they got their info.  Lately, the responses, if any, are an exercise in futility. 

This is such a response:


At least this person responded to me.  Most do not.  Please do not inflate your family tree by adding on people that you cannot properly document.  I call such assemblers "name hoarders."  They impede serious research.

No comments:

Post a Comment